Periodically we post a blog item featuring news of what the Society is working on, or featuring fascinating facts about our area.
The latest post are shown on this page.
- Wartime Warsash
Warsash House was first mentioned in 1743 as a farmhouse occupied by a Mr John Brown. At this time, it was known as Passage House, possibly owing to its location between the high road to the Hamble Ferry and a private footpath along the meadow to the shore. This area is now known as Crofton Way and Thornton Avenue. It is …
The First documented evidence of the Hamble to Warsash Ferry is 1535c although there was a causeway long before this date.In 1905 W Cooper & Co Ltd bought the freehold of The Bugle Pub in Hamble and the ferry. The ferry at this time was a large dinghy which was rowed across the river from Hamble to the wooden ferry …
The Society has an substantial resource available in the heart of Warsash. The Warsash Heritage Centre is located at 24 Shore Road and is a permanent home for our archive and a research centre for its users. Since formation the Society has built a comprehensive archive of photographs, maps, documents and artefacts. We hope that people will use this resource to support …
The Solent and Southampton Water with its rivers and creeks were ideal for smuggling, with an easy run from France, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Wight, all centres for smuggling. This booklet looks at the history of smuggling in the area from the 17th Centuary, and the attempts of the authorities to counter it. The book also tells the …
It is only really since the building of our church and school in 1872 that Hook-with Warsash has become a community. Until that time it had consisted of a number of small communities — in actual distance very close together but in reality stretches of water and vast areas of common kept them isolated from one another. The first signs of …
The first recorded entry of the St Mary’s Hook with Warsash National School log book is dated 9 September 1872. In it the head, Mr Alfred Cooper, states “Opened school in the New School Room. Number present on the first day 56.” The school attracted a number of visitors in its early days, including the local Vicar who taught scripture, …
Tell your friends about us