The Research Group
The Research Group was formed over a decade ago, consisting of up to 10 members.
Individuals within the group research their own local history interests. As a group we take on various agreed topics, many of which are then written up and published in the annual magazine which is distributed to all WLHS members. Several of the larger projects have been published, examples of which are:
- The Hook – The Forgotten Estate. History of the Hornby family and the Hook House Estate, built by William Hornby towards the end of the 18th C
- Coldeast Estate – History of the lands, estate and occupiers, including the present housing development.
- Ships of The Hamble by Pip Leach
- The Lost Chapel of Hook – Pip Leach
- Coastguards and Smugglers by Pip Leach
Further information can be found in the Publications Section of the web site.
Our present planned topic is “The Warsash House Estate”
We try to encourage and support other people’s research interests, although we are unable to take on other people’s research on their behalf. Examples of this includes a collection of local census returns [1841 to 1901] & recording Memorial Inscriptions from local churches. These are available for viewing at the Warsash Heritage Centre.
We welcome the opportunity to be able to see documents etc pertaining to the local area & can advise on conservation and preservation issues. Contact us here.